The 2008 North American Solar Challenge is a 2,400 mile race from Dallas to Calgary, held in July. There are 26 international teams competing to design, build, and drive the fastest solar-powered car. Here are some of the race specs, according to Wikipedia:
- Race consists of a series of timed stages between predetermined locations; all teams begin and end each race day in the same location
- The team with the lowest overall elapsed time wins
- The total area of all solar cells and related reflectors, etc. must not exceed 6 square meters
- When the vehicle has stopped, the solar array may be reoriented toward the sun for charging batteries
- Strict specifications and engineering scrutiny process is provided for vehicle configuration, safety requirements, and other standards.